Winter Garden, Florida, my home.
CLICK IMAGE to discover Winter Garden Farmers Market!
CITY OF WINTER GARDEN FLORIDA -click for more about...
I thought you might be interested in what I have learned about where I live:
Winter Garden Florida (34787), 20 miles west of Orlando has an amazing history as an agricultural citrus center founded in the 1900's on the shore of Lake Apopka and has become the cultural capital of West Orange County and on the National Register of Historic Places. In its heyday, Winter Garden lived up to its name by supplying citrus to the Northern U.S. via the Railroads. Don't miss the Winter Garden Farmers Market every Saturday or either of the railroad museums.
The Christmas Day freeze of 1989 put thousands of acres unpractical for agricultural use; and as rural landowners, the growers had few options even though their land abutted Walt Disney World to the south. In 1993 these visionary growers formed the core of the now famous Horizon West, an extraordinary example of master land planning that to this day is fulfilling the dreams of its founders; Villages with village centers intelligently designed and interconnected with homes, schools, shops, services, parks, lakes, recreation,; with Hamlin as the vibrant center of the Horizon West Town Center- the shopping and entertainment destination to rival anything in Central Florida.
In 2016 Horizon West anchored the real estate boom and is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. State Road 429 opened in 2005 is the modern highway from I-4 north, past Disney's Western Way entrance, with exit 15 New Independence Parkway right at Hamlin- makes it a breeze to get in and out of Horizon West. The WalMart Supercenter is opened now; the Publix is under roof and the new dine-in Cineopolis Hamlin just announced for November! The jewel of Hamlin will be the 28 acre recreational, dining and retail with boardwalk and a small marina on Lake Hancock is coming soon.
Dozens of new neighborhoods, built by some of the largest award winning new home builders in America, have sprouted all over Horizon West; including where I live: Summerlake.
The selection of real estate for sale is staggering; with all types of modern, energy efficient one and two story homes, and townhomes priced from mid $200s to $1 million and up. These beautiful new home models offer all manner of designs and sizes with fabulous outdoor spaces and pools. Breathtaking home sites are still available on the lakes or golf courses.
Horizon West offers all its residents an amazing array of services, amenities, recreation, and family friendly attractions including:
- Minutes from Walt Disney World
- Orange County National (two 18 hole courses, a 9 hole course, lodge, clubhouse and restaurant)
- AdventHealth (formerly Florida Hospital )75,000 sq ft hospital with 24/7 emergency department across from Winter Garden Village
- Orlando Health Emergency Room and Medical Pavilion Horizon West is now open with Hospital expansion under construction for 2021 opening.
- New Windermere high school within West Windermere Rural Settlement on County Rd 535
- Independence Elementary opened August 2015
- New SUMMERLAKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL is now open for 2020 school year!
- WalMart Supercenter
- Shopping center anchored by Publix -
- Cineopolis dine in theater - NOW OPEN
- Winter Garden historic downtown- (don't miss the Farmers Market Saturdays)
- Orange County Parks and Recreation Horizons West Sportsplex under developement
- Horizon West Town Center at Hamlin on Lake Hancock (described above) coming in 2020
CLICK HERE for Winter Garden, FL Guide for Schools, Demographics, and Real Estate Listings
note: Covid restrictions may apply.